Tuesday, July 9, 2013

#69 RSS After Google Reader

I was familiar with RSS readers and had signed up for a Bloglines account years ago, but didn't really have much use for it at the time. I have finally found several blogs that I enjoy reading and following, so recently I went back to Bloglines and updated my feeds. I did not like using it. It felt "old"-kind of awkward and clunky. That brings us to this month's assignment, finding a replacement for Google Reader (which I never used). Maybe I could just find a better RSS reader than Bloglines?? I kept hearing about Feedly, so I had downloaded the app on my IPhone, but it wouldn't work (which I have since read about what the problem is and am just waiting on a fix). I decided to check it out using my computer, and I am glad I did. It was so easy to use! I am a read the instructions/follow the recipe kind of girl, but it was pretty simple and intuitive. I didn't try to import my blogs (wish I had tried that just to see how it works) because I didn't have very many in the first place. I am usually a sequential kind of girl, but I kind of did things backwards this time. I went back and watched the RSS in Plain English video, just for fun and then watched the Feedly video, to try and pick up any tips/tricks. I pretty much had figured it out-yeah for me! What I like about Feedly is how easy it was to find the things I wanted to follow. I would find several feeds connected with a site in Bloglines, but it was difficult to figure out which one I was looking for. Many times I would have to go out and get the URL and bring it back to Bloglines in order to subscribe, but I did not have these problems with Feedly. It was also very easy for me to set up and name my feed categories and keep it all organized. My favorite feature though is the different way to view your feeds. I am very visual and I find that the magazine or card view is very helpful for me to see and scan through articles quickly. My other favorite feature is the app, once I get it working. My IPhone gets quite a bit of use, so this is another way to be able to quickly access my content on the go. I am not that picky, so I feel like Feedly has everything that I need from a RSS feed aggregator. I decided to go back and browse the 10 Google Reader Alternatives that will ease your RSS pain and the list and comparison of feed aggregators. Interesting thing, I did not see Bloglines on either one. Is it really that old school? Maybe no one else liked it either!

3 comments:

  1. I used Bloglines too! They are still around, but I think when they announced back in 2010 that they were shutting down, too many people bailed. They ended up not shutting down, and being sold to a different company, but I think they just never really recovered from that.

    Many went to Google Reader then. I did, sort of. But, it actually didn't really appeal to me. I use Feedly now, too, and I also really like the choice of displays. It's much better even than Google Reader was, I think. :) I have the Android app on my phone, and it works really well. I hope you get the iPhone one working soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops, I spoke to soon. My Android app is broken at the moment, but Feedly is working on it.

    But, did you see that they fixed the iPhone one? http://blog.feedly.com/2013/07/10/goodbye-over-capacity-bug-feedly-16-1-for-ios-is-out/ Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I did see that they got the Iphone app working. I use it often, but still prefer to view it on the computer.

    ReplyDelete